Sunday, August 2, 2009

WIMBLEDON 2009

I missed the Wimbledon action this year. But anyways I m going to put some things from the tournament in this post. Guess I will try to cover but not like my last year post.

Even before the start of the tournament I was so disappointed that Rafael Nadal was not in the tournament. Eventually Roger had one hurdle removed very early. But I guess he will be missing since he always wanted to give a reply to the last years loss.

Like French Open it was James Blake to book his return ticket first. Since it was last Wimbledon for Marat Safin he was expected to go till semi's like last year. But this year he bid good bye for the last time in the first round itself. None of the tennis fan expected this to happen since Marat was one strong fighter.

The giant Jo-Wilfred Tsonga exited in the 3rd round itself with Tommy Roberdo in the line. With the top seeds cruising, the tournament got heated up in the 6th day itself. The only missing factor was Nadal. The turn outs started in the quarters. In quarters the Australian Lleyton Hewitt and The Serbian Novak Djokovic got their exit slip.

The semis was a great action. The first action was between Andy and Andy. The support was obviously to the Britain sweetheart Murray. Even I thought that the Britain will make to his first ever Wimbledon Final. But the four setter match gave a big surprise to all the tennis fan. It was the other Andy(Roddick) who made to his yet another finals. In the second match the only hurdle to Roger was Tommy Haas. Everybody expected a five setter but the Swiss King made the match a 3 setter and confirmed his foot in yet another finals.

On the day of finals I remembered the 2007 finals which I didn't watch and the Swiss King kept the title to himself. I was so excited and was also so sure that Roger will win the title. I was lucky enough to watch the final set. Both the players were equal for each other. It was yet another five setter and it was also the longest in the history of Wimbledon. God I missed the whole action.

Finally the Swiss defeated the American and created a new record. He made another step and took away the title from Peter Sampras "The most number of Slams held by an individual". It was in the gentlemen side. Peter Sampras was present in the court to see the action. Roddick was so upset that he was not able to clinch the title(at least for once). I m sure that he has more to display in the US Open.

With the end of Wimbledon Roger became the number 1 player and also the greatest tennis player ever.

Coming to the ladies side. There was clean cruise by the top seeds from the first round to the second round.Everything tumbled for the Russian beauty Maria Sharapova. Though she made good entry in the clay court she was not able to keep the pace in the grass court where she was a champion once. This years French Open champion got her exit ticket in the 3rd round itself. The Serbian Jelena Jankovic who was expected to clinch her first title also exited in the 3rd round.

Yet another time Ana Ivanovic suffered defeat at the hands of the Elder Williams. It was Dinara who made a point that she no longer would be under dog.

It was different semis Where in both the slots the competition was between a Russian and an American. The tennis world expected an all American or all Russian finals. The William sisters didn't let the hope and made entry to another sister finals.

Like previous year the finals was expected to be another epic event. This year the younger sister was too strong and clinched her third Wimbledon title in two sets. She took the turn to console her elder sister this time.

I guess there will be more new events in the next year events.

No comments: