action I kept track of the event online. First shock came from the ladies side when Venus Williams booked her return ticket in the 3rd round itself. The following day Elena Dementiva gave company for Venus. The tennis model Ana Ivanovic also booked her ticket early this time. She exited in the 4th round. The Serbian, Jelena Jankovic who was expected to win this year's French Open follwed suit with all of her top seeds. She also exited on the 4th round. The russian icon Maria Sharapova who picked up her racquet after a long time went upto the quarters. I guess she made a good come back after a long time. I guess she will increase her graph pretty soon. The younger Williams didn't make it to the finals. She got her exit in the quarters.Unexpected finalist of this year was Svetlana Kuznetsova. As expected(by me) the underdog Dinara Safina made to her second french finals. This year I though she may find the trophy in her hnads. But I guess I was so wrong or she was unlucky. But I guess she has got a lot more ahead and lot more slams. May be it is not yet her time to clinch her first title.
On the other hand the men's side was totally different. It started with James Blake who was out in the first round itself. Marat Safin's last lap in the french round came to an end in the first round itself. He bid good bye to the clay court for the last time. Giles Simon,David Ferrer and Radek Stephanek were out in the 3rd round itself. With them it was the serbian hero Novak Djokovic to book his ticket. He got his exit in the 3rd round itself.

On the other hand, the top four players were cruising past easily. But not until the fourth round where the clay court king Rafael Nadal lost to Robin Soderling. The entire tennis world gasped when Nadal exited the tournament. I was happy on one side and also sad since I will be missing him against Roger in the finals. More top players like Andy Roddick,Tommy haas all exited in the fourth round itself.
The Britain sweetheart Andy Murray was stunned by Fernando Gonzalez in the quarters. Everybody in the tennis world was shocked when the both Nadal and Murray exited early. This gave much more easier path for the Swiss king Roger to clinch his first ever French Open.
The unexpected finalist here was Robin Soderling. Everybody thought that the Swiss king has
got a easy path to hold the trophy. But Soderling was an equal match. Though the action between Roger and Nadal was always the expected this was less favourite.Me being the crazy fan of Roger I was happy that he made into the finals and I was damn sure that the title would be his. I received this sweet news from my mom the same night. Roger completed his career grand slam with this French Open and also equaled the maximum slam record with Peter Sampras.
The surprise in this tournament was the tennis pair Steffi Graff and Andre Agassi who played an
exhibition match. It was 10 years ago these two played a winning match together. I think with this match they can make a comeback into the tennis world again. I was so happy to see them in the picture at least.This year I was not able to give any detailed news about the action since I missed them. But I think I will be able to make it good the next year. If not at least with the next grand slam.
No comments:
Post a Comment