Sunday, November 30, 2008

Duo

Two days ago there were two things hot around chennai. First was the rain which swept away the entire city and made everything stand still. The next one was the Mumbai blast. Well in case of the first one I was the direct victim and in the other case I was an indirect victim.

RAIN IN CHENNAI
Well I think I have had enough of rain in my life. When rain happened for the last time I was a college student and it was a different experience. This time I would say it had some impact on me. I had to worry much about the rising level of the water in my area. With the heavy rain came the power failure. I had power failure for more than 24 hours. So had nothing to do with. But this rain gave some time with my family. Especially held my bro from his work. We had some nice time like family talk and playing and many other things. Since the power failure lasted for more than 24 hours we were worried about water. This water I m talking about is related to the water that we use for basic amenities. So my mom started doing RWH. Yes she simply started putting buckets to save some rain water. I thought our area was the only area affected by power failure but soon found that many area was affected too(at heart I felt welcome aboard). So I started calling my friends to kill some time and also to share some worst experiences with the rain. When I had finished my bro took his turn to call followed by my dad and mom. When everybody was out of option we started playing. Due to power failure my bro lost his charge on his mobile. So there was no disturbance from his side. Then my mobile lost its network and then its charge so no disturbance from my side. We felt how useful the landlines are at this situation. During these hours Some thing struck my mind. I was wondering how my dad and mom lived in a village without power and how they had spent their childhood. For a day I was taken to their life. Yes especially spending lots of time with your loved ones. I felt happy even with the power failure. So this was the first part running in my mind.

MUMBAI BLAST
After the first spell of rain started I didn't switch on my TV and continued digging with my book. At midnight my bro returned from his work and switched on the TV even before changing his clothes. It was at that time I came to know about the Mumbai blast and the related incident. At first I thought it was a small blast and nothing gonna change. So I went to sleep. The next morning I woke up early to catch up the news and found that it had gone ahead than expected. So I was glued to the idiot box(sensible for part time). Around 10:30 I had power failure. I cursed the technicians and even the minister. I was not at all able to take away the thought from my mind. So after some time started making calls to few friends to know the progress and eventually nothing came up. I was totally frustrated. I tried myself to keep diverted but was wondering what was happening in Mumbai. Around 20:00 hours I started calling the electricity board but everything went vain. Around 23:00 hours we got the information that power will be resumed only after the water completely drains. So we all tried to go to sleep. I had sleepless night because I was thinking about the Mumbai blast. No one related to me was a victim but at heart I felt a bit connected. Especially when I received some updates about the killings. The next day I called up my friend and found that there was power in his home. I asked him the update and was really shocked by the answer he gave. He asked me, "What is happening in Mumbai and why are so worried?". I was saying to myself, "Ada pavi, angae uyir poitu irukku nee sarva sadharnama kaekuriyae da?" . Now I started wondering how many really cared for those people affected by the blast. Around 15:00 hours (the next day) I had my power back and immediately switched on the TV. When the siege got over I was totally relieved.

WHERE DO WE STAND?
Every time we are affected my natural calamity or by terrorists attack we talk about the lack of relief measures and security measures but how far do we implement anything is a big question that stand in front of us. Every time an attack takes place we think of all the prior incidents but do we really learn from them. I really doubt that. The security measures should have been improved when the parliament attack happened. The relief measures should have been improved when the natural calamity had hit last time. But we don't learn anything from them but we take opportunity to dig deeper to find the faults. I think it is time for the Indian people to think reasonably. We cannot be sitting in our house and just comment. If we cannot take any action for the natural calamity I think we have every right to change the history. Yes I think we have every right to question the security measures that are taken. Will people ever realize how we are being trumpets in the hands of both nature and politicians? I don't think that civilians should be affected because of some insane leaders. But I m sure that these things will not change without questioning and with a huge population like in our nation it makes beyond difficult.

When the northern parts were mourning for some goon activities the southern part was mourning due to the natural calamity. Now it is time for us to check where do we stand,"Is India a developing country or is it a third world which is yet to be developed?".I felt heart broken when I found that even my friend was not at all aware of the world around him. With these kinds of people I think that those who wish to rise the question can only be a mere spectator than a creator. If it ever happens then India would be looked upon by other countries.

No comments: